Introduce yourself to your classmates and instructor. Learn how to use Moodle's basic features. Complete the pre-course assignments.
Readings and Lecture Support
No readings for the "Introduction." Just browse the chapters to get an orientation to what Business Analytics is about and the topics that we will be covering.
For my "Course Introduction" video.
For my "Who is Rick Jerz?" video.
Here are the PowerPoints for my "Moodle Introduction" video.
This pre-course assignment is designed to get you prepared to have success in the course by making sure all of your necessary resources are working for you. You should do the following tasks before the first week of class (consider printing this webpage and then "check off" the assignments that you have completed.)
1) Review the syllabus. If you have any questions, make a post in the forum "Intro: Any Questions, Comments, or Observations."
2) Verify that you can log into ICON and Moodle. For Moodle, click on the appropriate "Business Analytics" course link for this course. If this is your first time accessing Moodle, create an account following the seven (7) steps, when you get an email from Moodle, click on its link and enter the "enrollment" key that I emailed to you in my "Welcome" email. Let me know if you encounter any problems. Here is a short video showing you how to set up your Moodle account.
Accessing Moodle (1 minute.)
This video provides information about how to access Moodle.
3) View this Course Introduction video (25 minutes.)
This video provides an overview of what we will be doing this semester.
4) View the following support videos:
Who is Dr. Jerz (12 minutes.)
This video provides information about your instructor.
Videos, Videos, Videos (11 minutes.)
This video provides information about a variety of ways to play videos.
Overview of Moodle (27 minutes.)
This video provides an overview of the Moodle LMS system.
5) In Moodle, click on the "Introduce Yourself" forum and provide your classmates with some interesting information about yourself.
6) In Moodle, click on the "Upload Photo" assignment link. Upload a photo (or document). This gives you a chance to make sure that you know how to upload files into Moodle.
7) In Moodle, click on the Student Information Survey, complete it, making sure to "submit" it.
8) If you have a smartphone or other multimedia player, you might want to see if you can download some videos and move them to your mobile device. Usually, I prefer playing videos from behind my computer.
9) Browse the textbook to get a sense of what we will be covering.
About a week before the course starts, I will let you know (via an email) that the first week's materials are now available. You will be able to begin this first week's assignments before the course officially starts.
10) Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any problems.