Introduce yourself to your classmates and instructor. Learn how to use Moodle's basic features. Complete the pre-course assignments.
Readings and Lecture Support
No readings for the "Introduction." Just browse the chapters to get an orientation to what Business Analytics is about and the topics we will cover.
For my "Course Introduction" video.
For my "Who is Rick Jerz?" video.
Here are the PowerPoints for my "Moodle Introduction" video.
I designed this pre-course assignment to prepare you to succeed in the course by ensuring all of your necessary resources work for you. You should do the following tasks before the first week of class. (Consider printing this webpage and then "check off" the assignments you have completed.)
1) Review the syllabus. If you have any questions, post in the forum "Intro: Any Questions, Comments, or Observations."
2) Verify that you can log into ICON and Moodle. For Moodle, click on the appropriate "Business Analytics" course link for this course. If this is your first time accessing Moodle, create an account following the seven (7) steps. When you get an email from Moodle, click on its link and enter the "enrollment" key that I emailed you in my "Welcome" email. Let me know if you encounter any problems. Here is a short video showing you how to set up your Moodle account.
Accessing Moodle (1 minute)
3)View this Course Introduction video (24 minutes)
4) View the following support videos:
Who is Dr. Jerz (12 minutes)
Videos, Videos, and More Videos (7 minutes)
Moodle Overview (29 minutes)
5) In Moodle, click on the "Introduce Yourself" forum and provide your classmates with some interesting information about yourself. You can revisit this discussion to see if anyone has provided comments to you and others. Also, you will notice that I make comments on some posts. This introductory post is an excellent place to do it if you want to share pictures, such as your pet, travels, professional activity photos, or other items of interest. Have fun!
6) In Moodle, click on the "Upload Photo" assignment link. Upload a photo (or other file). This activity allows you to make sure you know how to upload files into Moodle.
7) In Moodle, click on the Student Information Survey, complete it, making sure to "submit" it. The information that you provide helps me get to know you.
8) If you have a smartphone or other multimedia player, you might want to see if you can download some videos and move them to your mobile device. Usually, I prefer playing videos from behind my computer.
9) Browse the textbook to get a sense of what we will be covering.
About a week before the course starts, I will let you know (via email) that the first week's materials are now available. You will be able to begin this first week's assignments before the course officially starts.
10) Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any problems.